The British Educational System

The British Educational System2017-11-30T14:25:43+00:00
  • At Sage College – The British School of Jerez we follow the British National Curriculum (B.N.C.), with the appropriate adjustment to the needs and characteristics of a British education institution in Spain.

  • 80% of the subjects belong to the B.N.C. and are taught entirely in English. The other 20% belong to the Spanish Curriculum and are meant to reinforce the Spanish culture and language.
  • When they finish school, our students´ qualifications are recognised by both the Spanish and by the British education authorities.
  • The British Compulsory Education begins at the age of 5 whereas the Spanish goes from  6 to 16, which gives a total of 11 years of schooling.
  • At the end of the Secondary Compulsory Education, students take the Cambridge external exams named I.G.C.S.E. (International General Certificate of Secondary School).
  • After obtaining I.G.C.S.E., students may enter the Upper Secondary School (Bachillerato). At the end of this period, they may take the Cambridge A-level exams, which will also allow them to enter Spanish and international universities.
  • In general, there are subjects, such as Mathematics, that match those in the Spanish curriculum, and some that are different: Topic, PSHE, Business studies, Travel and tourism, Media studies, Economics etc.
  • When a student moves from a Spanish to a British school, he or she enters the same year-group according to the British system, which is one number higher than the Spanish numbering