The Occupational Health and Hygienist Advisor acts as deputy to the Health, Safety and Environment Manager and will act as ‘competent person’ under the Management of Health, Safety and Environment at Work in the absence of the Health, Safety and Environment Officer. Normally the nurse will be nominated the Occupational Health and Hygienist Advisor. Other duties will include:
- The provision of specialist knowledge on the assessment of risk from substances hazardous to health.
- Provision of an environmental monitoring service to Departments and Sections as required.
- Maintaining a liaison with external organisations and professional bodies on matters of occupational hygiene and related issues.
- Co-ordinate the collection of hazardous waste from Departments and Sections and subsequent storage within the University's Hazardous Waste
- Store and to arrange for disposal in accordance with statutory obligations.
- Assist the University Health, Safety and Environment Officer in his/her duties.
- Develop an occupational health policy.
- Carry out monitoring and auditing of occupational health issues to ensure compliance with our policy.
- The Occupational Health and Hygienist Advisor Health Safety and reports to the Health, Safety and Environment Officer.